Hong Kong shopping malls bring in more new dining elements. Long-established restaurants need to go. Does the change bring good impact to mall owners and customers?
Shopping Malls in Hong Kong continue to bring in more new dining elements as some long-established restaurants are thought to be old and boring. Is the change bring in good impact to shopping mall owners and customers?
Zentro Loft on roofgarden of IFC Mall is saying farewell to their customers after 19 years, which is one of the F&B operators to be kicked out from shopping mall due to its history.
Lacrucci has witnessed the process of revamping shopping malls in Hong Kong, which is heading towards bringingin more new dining concepts and letting go the old ones. But customers might not vote for the change in some cases.
Older restaurants in HK shopping malls hard to stay
A series of older restaurants located in Hong Kong shopping malls have to say farewell to their customers involuntarily. Their operations are doing well, but mall owners believe that new F&B concepts will bring in something good for their malls.
Just to name a few:
- Cafe Deco left Peak Galleria after 22 years due to revamp of the shopping arcade in the Peak
- Dan Ryan’s left Pacific Place Mall after 25 years by which the shop space was taken up by Operetta which was operated by Lai Sun Dining
- Grappa’s left Pacific Place Mall after 23 years by which the shop was taken up by Bizou which is operated by Dining Concepts
- Zentro Loft will close in IFC Mall by late October after 19 years by which the shop will be taken up by a restaurant and bar operated by Dining Concepts
Blessing or curse after old restaurants gone?
Hong Kong is a fast-moving city. It has one of the highest density of restaurants in the world. Restaurants close and new restaurants open everyday.
Most of the shopping mall owners believe that new restaurants should be better than old ones, which should bring in their targeted groups of customers and also draw more traffic to their mall.
Lacrucci does not see the blessing happening to all the malls after the change. But some good memories are gone after closures of these old restaurants in the shopping malls.
Talk to Lacrucci
Lacrucci.com is a brand F&B community consultant developed by Lacruland Ltd. If you would like to join us, please use one of the following methods:
- Phone: +852 6280.3566
- Office Phone: + 852-3597 5561
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Check out more information on Lacrucci facebook and Lacrucci Instagram